Tweet
.
Today, I find myself very thankful for God's grace.
Often times I perceive myself as being less worthy to follow Christ than the many great men and women who have gone before me. Most of the Disciples of Christ laid down their lives for his cause while I sit here and struggle to even grasp the meaning of scripture. I know we are all equally unworthy to follow Christ because his power, majesty, and holiness are so far above any human, but from my mere human perspective people seem to have rank and I fall so far below the greats.
But then I come across a passage like this. Christ speaks of himself, the Devil and his wiles, salvation, judgement, and following him in parable form. From this side of things, I can begin to get a grasp of what the parable meant. Only, though, because I'm looking back after Christ completed his first work on earth. Then I read verse 6 - "This figure of speech Jesus used with them, but they did not understand what he was saying to them."
I don't want to sound snide, but it makes me glad that the Disciples didn't get it. For one reason, it means Jesus will go onto explain in more detail what the figure of speech meant. Another reason, though, is that it means the Disciples were just as fallible as I am. I think it's God's grace to us that we are all equally invalid people, sinners lacking understanding and I am grateful that the scripture doesn't hide this. The Disciples were just as unworthy to be following Jesus as I am.
What we can take from this on how to follow Christ well is to recognize our ignorance. It doesn't say here that the disciples asked Jesus to explain further, but there are instances where they do (Matthew 13:36, 15:15). I must not shy away from my ignorance and I must not embrace it either. Rather, I must pray and ask the Holy Spirit to show me the meaning of the Word (John 14:26) and I must study the Word to find out what it meant then and what it means to me now. Then, I'll find myself in the company of all true disciples of Christ - ignorant, invalid sinners seeking to know Him more.
Edit: I just heard these lyrics and they seemed fitting especially today. The words are from Rock of Ages. I'm a fan of the Brooks Ritter/Sojourn version.
Nothing in my hand I bring,
simply to the cross I cling;
naked, come to thee for dress;
helpless, look to thee for grace;
foul, I to the fountain fly;
wash me, Savior, or I die.
Rock of ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in Thee.
No comments:
Post a Comment