Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Make It Now And Thank Me Later

Meal of the night: spaghetti. After a week and a half of the fast, this is the best thing I've put in my mouth yet. Yes, even better than those glorious stuffed 'shrooms. I will admit from the get go, I used cans of tomatoes. I don't think it's against the rules because I got the ones that were straight tomatoes (or really close). I just didn't have time or know how to make paste. Plus tomatoes are out of season. What're you gonna do? Ok, caveats made...
This is pretty simple. Ingredients:

A few cloves of fresh garlic
A few fresh basil leaves
1lb 12 oz of diced tomatoes
~14 oz of tomato sauce
6 oz of tomato paste
A few slices of a yellow onion
Ok, first I put in the onion with a little olive oil and browned it with the garlic. Then I put in all forms of tomato and my diced basil. I also added ~10 oz of water to boil off. Get this boiling and keep it at a low boil for a good 30-40 minutes. Also, unless you love the feeling of boiling tomato sauce on your arm find your longest handled wooden spoon. I found the short metal spoon I started stirring with paid me back in great pain. That's really all it takes. I sautéed some mushrooms to go on top of my whole wheat pasta and I'll be honest, the celery was just to make the picture look better.

Oh! Side items... I put a little olive oil and garlic salt on Ezekiel bread and broiled it and cooked some fresh green beans too.
Best meal I've had!


No comments:

Post a Comment