I regret that I'm skipping over John 1 because I think it's one of the most intriguing texts in scripture. Maybe that's for the best because there's no way I could write a brief post about it...
Two things about chapter 2...
2:10-11 - "...and said to him, 'Everyone serves the good wine first, and when people have drunk freely, then the poor wine. But you have kept the good wine until now.' This, the first of his signs, Jesus did at Cana in Galilee, and manifested his glory. And his disciples believed in him." (ESV)
Don't get caught up in the "I can't believe Jesus turned water into wine" part of this passage. That's where the hype lies, but that's not what this passage is about. I don't think Jesus was trying to answer the age old Baptist-in-the-Bible-belt debate. Rather, he was giving us a bit of foreshadowing - that the good things in this world don't compare to what is to come. You see, many things of this world offer satisfaction, but it is so very temporary. However, in Christ, while we face fleeting pain and pleasure now, we have hope of eternal pleasure that is to come. Instead of wasting ourselves on temporary pleasures, we should excitedly anticipate and prepare for the day we see Christ's glory in full. As a bonus, Christ wants to "[manifest] his glory" here-and-now.
This fast is practical outworking of the desire to see Christ's glory come. We enter this fast to be drawn closer to him for two purposes: 1. To know how our church might more readily shine his glory on earth and 2. That we might be more like Christ and anxious to see his glory in full.
Amen and amen.2:17 - His disciples remembered that it was written, 'Zeal for your house will consume me.' (ESV)
Feel free to post things the Lord is showing you as well.
ReplyDelete