I decided to take a break yesterday. Just from the blog, mind you, not the reading. I had a good bit of time on the road and then hanging out with the fam. But John 13 is a powerful chapter (which isn't?), so I'm going to spend a few lines on it today and maybe I'll write on 14 later.
Often I over think it and carry myself away with all the complexities of loving my brother and how that should play out and what that should look like and when that should happen and who all that really includes. But it's not complex. It's simple. I know how to love. It's not hard. And I've been given great love. All I need is to remember how passionately Christ loves me in my utter brokenness and, with the love he pours into me, love the body of Christ.
Yeeaah, a John 14 post will have to wait till later... ha
One of the things to remember here is that at this point is that Jesus is done preaching to the crowds and the rest of his words are directed to his disciples alone. In a sense he is preparing the men to whom he will pass off his earthly work. Also, Jesus is very near his betrayal by Judas and he alone understands that. That's the context for the next few chapters.
The washing of the disciples feet piques my interest. I always wonder what this means for us today. I think a special foot-washing time done with the right heart and in the right context could be one implication, but what does it mean at large? To answer that it seems important to look at why Christ did this. I find four implied reasons in the passage: 1. He loves the disciples dearly (vs. 1-2); 2. It was an incredible expression of his humility (vs. 3); 3. It was a representation of the spiritual washing he brings (vs. 8-10); 4. To set an example for them to follow (vs. 12-17). To a Christ-follower then it means that we should be looking for practical ways to humbly love one another (vs. 34) and wash away the dirt and grime of the world. Spurgeon says it better than I ever will:
"In the world they criticize: this is the business of the public press, and it is very much the business of private circles. Hear how gossips say, ‘Do you see that spot? What a terrible walks that man must have had this morning: look at his feet! He has been very much in the mire you can see, for there are the traces upon him.’ That is the world’s way. Christ’s way is very different. He says nothing, but takes the basin and begins to wash away the stain. Do not judge and condemn, but seek the restoration and the improvement of the erring."That's what this passage is calling me to do. Not to cut down my fellow believer but to bear (cover over) his burdens (1 Cor. 13:7), to be my brothers confessor (John 20:22-23), and to humble myself to serve my brother (Gal. 5:13). Christ states it most simply with a new commandment - "That you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another."
Often I over think it and carry myself away with all the complexities of loving my brother and how that should play out and what that should look like and when that should happen and who all that really includes. But it's not complex. It's simple. I know how to love. It's not hard. And I've been given great love. All I need is to remember how passionately Christ loves me in my utter brokenness and, with the love he pours into me, love the body of Christ.
Yeeaah, a John 14 post will have to wait till later... ha
No comments:
Post a Comment